Tuesday, August 16, 2016

KoW Varangur/Aos Khorne Warhost WIP

Some models I've been working on, still have plenty of work to do but I wanted to share my progress. I think of these guys primarily for Kings of War, but when I have them all painted up I'll finally have a starter AoS Khorne force and few potential critters and a wizard for the Frostgrave skirmish game as well.

I'm playing around with Reaper Snow effects, seen most clearly on my unit of Fallen and Cave Beast. It looks okay, if a little stark. I'm doing some experimenting to bring out some of the textures without making it strange colors with the washed I have at my disposal. I'd love to hear some thoughts on that! In either case, here we have the Collared Warband:

Vhalnach the Conqueror, Mutant Son of Korgaan , Forger of Chains
and Lord of Ghorath Hold.

Vhalnach is an AoS Khorne Lord, and will count as a Chieftain on
Direfang. His purple chaos hound gives him... speed, or something.

Vilkas the Enslaver, the warband's Skald encourages the troops to
stay in the fight with his words and threats of the lash.

Asmund Headtaker, First of Vhalnach's thane's and personal
bannerman. He carries the Banner of Korgaan at all times when in battle.

The lighting could be better. Much better. Still working on getting
a workable lightbox to fix the problem.

Arcadius the Exile, Magus of the Host and his homunculi Visage.

In Mantica, Arcadius is a former Basilean wizard and will pull triple duty-
either as a Magus, a Necromancer, or a Frostgrave wizard (and apprentice~)


The 'roided out commander of the armies Reavers, blessed by Korgaan
and Acadius's spellcraft until they assume the form of bigger-than life
Berserkers.

In this warband, many warriors are former slaves who (under
lash and boot) proved to their master's that they were strong
enough to join the cause.

The Age of Sigmar miniatures are taking center stage at this stage,
though figuring out the 50% +1 for regiments and the like will be
my next interesting challenge.

I do really like these Blood Reaver miniatures. I think I found a color
scheme that distanced them from classic Khorne roots without directly
precluding them from jumping right back into AoS if I wanted.

Brakkas the Hungering Skullbeast was found slumbering in Korgaan's
Temple deep under the former Abyssal Dwarf Hold of Ghorath.

Awoken from its slumber, Brakkas will count as a Cave Beast or, in a
pinch, a Cave Troll King.

Finally my elite unit of 'Fallen', Korgaanite warriors brought back from their eternal
rest to once again bring war to their Master's enemies.
So that's what I have done for my Kings of War Varangur army. I have more Blood Reavers to paint, thirty five odd Chaos Warriors for Bloodsworn, some chaos hounds to act as Tundra Wolves and a few metal odds and ends to maybe build up a Chieftain on a Chimera. My next big project will be to figure out the best way to build troop movement trays to accommodate the AoS circular bases- hopefully in an aesthetically pleasing and tournament legal way.

On the building table is a few units of Mantic undead from the KoW two player starter set. They'll start life as Frostgrave monsters and allies for my Varangur, but hopefully I'll be able to support a great company by expanding it to a full blown army one of these days. One project at a time. Well, at least per game system!

Expect some longer fluff for these guys soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment